2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  🡆 GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Glimps RJKD artwork

Artworks created/edited using GIMP
RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Re: Glimps RJKD artwork

Post#751 by RJKD » 29 Jan 2020, 19:25

Thankyou for your comments Pat and leopardo

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#752 by RJKD » 14 Feb 2020, 16:19

ok I recently purchased Photoshop CS6 Extended for £30 - (legally I hasten to add), I wanted to get a feel for exactly what it can do etc. So I start this project and guess what? IT doesn't like my bluetooth keyboard or mouse, grrrr, more expense. No doubt there will be more 'bumps in the road', I'll keep you posted.
So I got back onto Gimp...
Mushroom_fantasy.jpg
Mushroom_fantasy.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 5028 times

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#753 by Pat625 » 15 Feb 2020, 00:01

I really love this image, RJKD. But If I may ask, with everything you can do in Gimp, why do you want PhotoShop?

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#754 by RJKD » 16 Feb 2020, 14:08

Thankyou and good question Pat. Mainly I just wanted to see what all the hypes about "the Industry standard etc..." also I heard Photoshop started as a text editor and I've seen some pretty impressive, clean results. I won't be leaving Gimp, already I've found much to my disliking (undo steps for one thing). Meanwhile here's my first tutorial completed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHzanm9pdU&t=518s
Surreal_landscapeGL.jpg
Surreal_landscapeGL.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 5014 times

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#755 by RJKD » 17 Mar 2020, 12:58

I created this following a Photoshop tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXV2FAmK-s&t=331s
I an experimenting with Gimp 2.10.6 to achieve the same or similar results, when I do I will post a tutorial.
Fantasy_hair 2.jpg
Fantasy_hair 2.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#756 by Issabella » 17 Mar 2020, 16:04

Richard, you did a great perfect job. I see it very real.
Thanks for the link to the tutorial, you even improved it. :gimp_clap:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#757 by oldmangrumpy » 17 Mar 2020, 18:25

Richard - terrific outcome; well done.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

RJKD
Tutorial Creator

Post#758 by RJKD » 22 Mar 2020, 16:31

Thankyou so much Issabella and OMG (great to see you again).
I have decided not to put a tutorial together as my Gimp work flow was all over the place (typical). However the good news is a decent result can be achieved without a great deal of skill. A few years ago I spent months trying to create this outcome, even made several brushes and I left it pretty frustrated. During this round of experimentation I tried every kind of hair brush, my own custom made and then some to try and get the brush to work with paths in the way they do with Photoshop, I got close.
I found that the brush Bristles 03 (default Gimp brush) at 40 px (working with a 1500 x 1500 canvass) spacing 1.0 hardness 100 Force 50 at Dynamic - pressure opacity worked best for me. Individual strands can be created at 1px.
Conclusion I need to practice the paths tool more, and more, and more.....
I attach my xcf and the image (I know it's horribly symmetrical, this isn't for artistic scrutiny.)
If anyone has any decent outcomes please let me know, I would be most grateful, thankyou.
Fantasy_hair.zip
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
Fantasy_hair_GIMP.jpg
Fantasy_hair_GIMP.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 3362 times

Pat625
Tutorial Creator

Post#759 by Pat625 » 22 Mar 2020, 17:17

RJKD, you have put a lot of effort into this and it shows! Definitely tutorial worthy.
That is your decision to do one or not but just know your work is much more than good enough.

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#760 by Issabella » 22 Mar 2020, 20:28

:gimp_clap: I completely agree with Pat. Shape and color are really allure and the loose hair threads give the whole especial charm.
You did a great job. The best thing is that you have got great skillful in this kind of art. :gimp_clap:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  🡆 GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP